Thursday, April 8, 2010

Booking It 2010


So finishing Dorcas Sharp Hoover's Hitching Posts and House Calls took longer than I thought.  When I last updated on Sunday, March 27th I thought I'd be done the next day.  Yeah well - it was Monday, April 5th before I finished it.  That's because I picked up Lynette Kraft's In Faithfulness, He Afflicted Me. 

I can't remember now how I stumbled upon this book...I know it was from reading another blog but I can't remember how I found that blog or what it was even called now.  I had to have my library send for it from a Kansas library (because ours didn't have it).  I'm so glad I found it.

From the back of the book: 
"Have you ever wondered about God's purpose in allowing you to suffer? The morning Anna died Lynnette wondered why God would ask her to endure heartache a third time In her candid approach, Lynnette shares her personal story of heartache.
In Faithfulness, He Afflicted Me offers a unique look at a story of suffering. You will experience Lynnette's raw emotions through journal enteries, yet you will be encouraged as you witness God's miraculous power of healing in her life. You may even find yourself excited to face your next trial, seeing it as an opportunity to experience, as Lynnette has, the fullness of God."
Lynette and her husband were blessed with nine children, three of who have been called home to Heaven.  Three.  How does one deal with that!?  In my own anger and misery of a miscarriage at 8weeks (after two plus years of trying) I couldn't understand how one would face such tragedy.  But reading this book has shown me that I just have to let go and let God.  And I've known that, always have but when it comes to trying to get pregnant I was obsessed.  I want another child.  I will always want another child.  But if I am only blessed with the one I have, I have to be incredibly thankful because she is an amazing girl.  I'd recommend this book to anyone who has lost a child in any manner. 

Page 73 lead to the title of the book (often my favorite part of the book...whatever it is about the book that leads to the title) "I knew that this great sorrow that my family was called to endure was ordained by God, and we would once again be victorious! "I know, O Lord, that thy judgments are right and that thou, in faithfulness hast afflicted me," (Psalm 119:75)."

So after finishing In Faithfulness, He Afflicted Me, I picked up Hitching Posts and House Calls again and got it finished too.  Both were really good reads and I thoroughly enjoyed them both. 

Monday evening I picked up a book off of Dave Ramsey's recommended reading list (a spot I go often to look for book ideas).  This one is titled Wild at Heart by John Eldridge and has been a really excellent read as well.  Dave says, "This is the premier book on Christian manhood. My wife, Sharon, read this book and said, ‘So that’s what’s wrong with you!’ Ha! A must-read for men and women alike."  I'm just now halfway through the book but am really enjoying it.  I'll post a wrap-up in a week or so when I get it done.

Also in the house for my reading pleasure are James Patterson's Cat and Mouse and Jodi Picoult's House Rules (her newest!).  I can't wait to get to either one - both are authors I absolutely love!

If you're interested in learning more about Lynette and her family, check out her blog at Dancing Barefoot on Weathered Ground.

Also, this is linked up to Life As Mom's Booking It April Update.  I update more than once a month, so if you see a book I mention here I might have discussed it in a previous post, just search for my Book It 2010 posts and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for!

1 comment:

  1. Lynette is amazing, isn't she? Or rather, God is amazing, isn't He?

    Thanks for sharing your reads!

    ReplyDelete