Thursday, January 21, 2010

Book It 2010

So I am STILL working on The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzcyn.  It is well over 900 pages and since I only read a little at night and some at lunch it is taking me longer than I thought. 

When I first read about her book (I can't remember if it was on Money Saving Mom or Life as Mom) I thought - this book sounds great!  I can't wait to get ahold of it and learn some new tricks.  Sadly, as I read through this - I shake my head at most of the tips and tricks.  I just don't see myself darning socks or placing patches on jeans. 

I guess I'm among those that feel that since I work I "deserve" to buy new things.  But I don't even always buy new things...a lot of LeeAnn's clothes come from Once Upon a Child or the extreme clearance racks at Kohls or JC Penney. 

And maybe because I do work out of the house I just can't wrap my brain around a lot of her (and reader's) suggestions.  And if I told her I worked out of the house would she break it all down and tell me I'm wasting my money?  Maybe, maybe not.  She said it wasn't feasible for her to work out of the house because of the drive and day care and the cost of clothes and on and on...  But we're blessed with parents who keep LeeAnn for us (only about two hours per day), my job is only six blocks from my house and I feel I do very well in shopping the clearance racks for my own clothes.  I truly think that me working out of the house is better for where we are right now.  Now, I would much rather be a stay-at-home mom but it just doesn't work out that way.  If I was a stay-at-home mom would I be more willing (and have more time) to work the tips and tricks?  Probably so...

I'm about halfway through her book and I do plan to finish it.  I hope to get a few good ideas out of her.  I have used one idea already...to use the return envelopes that come in the mail with bills, etc.  Since I pay a lot of bills online now I always have lots of extra envelopes.  And I use envelopes when I make my weekly grocery list (put my list on one side and then the coupons in the envelope).  I thought that was a genius idea (reusing the envelopes - I got the grocery list/coupon holder idea off of another blog).

And I've also manage to pick up a fiction book called "The Starter Wife" by Gigi Lavangie Grazer.  I read the first chapter probably two months ago on lunch break (borrowed from a co-worker since I hadn't brought a book to read at lunch) and since she finished it, she's let me borrow it. 

I also still have Marx's "The Long Snapper" waiting for me as well. Needless to say, I've been doing quite a bit more reading lately and I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment