Sunday, July 25, 2010

Christmas in July 2010 was a SUCCESS!

I *love* Christmas.  I love winter.  I love snow.  And I love to spend time with my family over a good meal.  So, Christmas in July seemed like a no-brainer to me.

When I first told Brian about it he seemed a little wary.  But he's a go with the flow kinda guy so we set a budget (which I blew...I'm good at that it seems) and decided to make today - July 25 our Christmas in July.

After some shopping in Lafayette on Saturday evening, LeeAnn and I set up our small fiber optic tree and wrapped one strand of lights around the front door.  She hung two pictures that she had made in pre-school and we even put snowflake window clings on the back door.  When it was all done, I turned on the tree and strand of lights and turned off the lights in the house and she says, "Mommy, it is gorgeous in here."

THAT made it all completely worth it.

So we wrapped Daddy's presents and after she went to bed I wrapped hers (just one from the present pile we keep in the basement) and I set out some of the things I was going to fix for dinner tonight.

After church, we had lunch and LeeAnn was so excited to open her present!  Shortly after that I went to Marsh to get some items needed for cook and then I started on the dinner preparations.  My mom came over to help (she's awesome like that!) and after prepping the pies (Kentucky Derby and pecan) I went to slide the pies into the pre-heated oven...but the oven wasn't even hot!  After some inspection, the heating element was broken and so the pies were whisked away to my parent's oven to bake (thanks to my dad for baking the pies!).

Then it was back to my house to prep the dressing and corn casserole and those went to my grandma's house with my mom and into her oven (thanks to my mom for doing that and my granny for heating her house...just to use her A/C to cool it down again). 

I stayed home to devil the eggs, bake the rolls and make my green bean casserole in the toaster oven (which actually started out in a pan on the stove).  Add in some mashed potatoes and gravy (from the turkey that had been in the roaster all day) and some pea salad (contributed by my grandma) and pasta salad (made by Brian) and we had a regular feast!

The kids had a great time playing together and every time I told them Merry Christmas my nephew looked at me like I had three heads.  It was fabulous though.  The insanity of trying to cook one meal at three different houses was so well worth it.

Brian said I was going to create a monster (you know, Christmas in July and all) but I say I'm creating memories...memories that she won't soon forget.  So now it's time to go take down the tree and that one strand of lights and pack away the pictures and snowflake window clings.  It was totally worth it though.

Merry Christmas in July!


And if you want more Christmas in July, head over to Life as Mom for her annual Christmas in July celebration.  She'll have giveaways daily and some great ideas to make life easier for us MOMs. 


Thanks to FishMama and a friend who baked Christmas cookies earlier this week for my ideas for my own Christmas in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment