Saturday, March 27, 2010

I'm Booking It!


I know that LifeAsMom only updates on Booking It 2010 once a month but I have been reading too much to do that.  I feel like I need to share more often or I'll forget what I've been reading!  With my last update I had just finished books nine and 10 on my way to read 52 for the year.  That was March 5th...  As of Wednesday night (the 24th) I had finished numbers 11, 12, 13 and 14 and have picked up number 15.  Here's what I've read most recently:


Push: A Novel by Sapphire

Wow... What a book! Usually when Short Stack and I go to the library we'll get her books first (she says I take too long) and then I get mine and before we leave we'll sit at a table and read for a bit before heading home. I opened this book first that day and knew before the bottom of the first page I was going to like it. That was on Sunday after lunch and I finished it by breakfast on Monday... When we went to Menard's later Sunday afternoon I made Brian drive so I could read, I read on the way home too (and before bed and when I woke up and ate breakfast - that's when I finished it).

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a moron or potentially offending someone but I have to say, I had a hard time sometimes getting through the words. The words are spelled how Precious (the main character) would say them (and probably how they are pronounced in the movie too) and when I first saw "muver" it took me a second to realize it was mother. And that "tesses" was tests. Once I realized though that that was how the book was written, I picked up on it much quicker.

The subject at times was heavy and hard to read.  I can't imagine facing the abuse that Precious faced at the hands of her mother and father.  I know it happens but it is not an easy subject to read about.  I picked up this book because of the awards that the movie based on the book won at the Academy Awards.  I'm not the type to watch a movie after reading a book (the movie always ruins it for me!) but I just might have to watch this one...


Sante Fe Sunrise
I recently put a request out on Facebook for suggested authors and/or books to read and someone suggested Kathryn Fuller.  I picked up this book by her and read it in a day also.  It's a historical romance and was a very easy read.  It was predictable (as I think most romance stories are) but I enjoyed it still.  I put another of her books on my list to pick up tomorrow...


Jack and Jill
Ahhhhh...James Patterson!!!  I *love* him.  Seriously.  His books keep me up at night and are definite page turners!  This one included two different serial murderers - one attacking children near where Alex Cross lives and the other attacking famous people/politicians with sights on the President of the United States.  Even though I have read all of these books (at least once!) it's been long enough that I can't remember the details and I hang onto every word.


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I picked this one out after seeing it read by several others who are also participating in Booking It 2010.  I am so glad I picked it up!  Mary Ann Shafer and her niece Annie Barrows have put together an excellent read.  It took me a bit to get into this one.  The book is written as letters from one person to another and there are several people writing to each other and I was so confused at first!  Once I figured out who was who (and where they were too) it was a good book.  This was about the German occupation of the Guernsey Islands and at times was hard to read as well.  While this was fiction - you know that the things describe were probably based on fact and so hard to fathom.  A very good read!


And then on Thursday I picked up a book called House Calls and Hitching Posts by Dorcas Sharp Hoover about a doctor in Amish Country, Ohio who practiced medicine in a way many doctors wouldn't have starting in the 1960's.  I'll probably have it finished today and hope to hit the library later today or tomorrow after church for a few more books to keep me busy!

Have you read anything good lately?  Leave me a comment and let me know - I'm always looking for a good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment