Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Booking It update - my last couple of weeks...

So I put down The Stormchasers in a matter of days. Mmmm...maybe more like a few hours (spread over three days).  If I could have just sat down and read it...it is one that would have gone down in just one day's time.  It was GOOD.

The Stormchasers was written by Jenna Blum.  The reviews of her other books were glowing and this book deserves just as many positive accolades!  A book about twins, the incredible bond between them and what happens when life separates them - this book was amazing.  I know some twins (well, went to school with some twins) but don't KNOW know any twins.  I've always imagined that the "twindar" that Karena experiences with Charles is a real knowledge and that having that built in best friend would lead to an amazing relationship between two siblings. 

If you're looking for a good read, I'd highly recommend this.  If you're interested in Mother Nature, storms and weather then this will be a definite treat for you.

Another book I picked up is Good Grief by Lolly Winston.  Part of my current job requires me to visit competitor's websites, gather some information and then send that information out to others I work with.  In the process of sending this info out, I like to include a quote or "didyaknow" fact or something and last week I shared a quote about reading, "Charlie "Tremendous" Jones said, "You are the same today as you'll be in five years except for two things: the books you read and the people you meet" (from Dave Ramsey's website).

So anyways, in this process one of my co-workers said, if you like reading then you need to read the book Good Grief.  So I picked it up that night.  It has been a very good read.  When thirty-six-year-old Sophie Stanton finds herself widowed, she realizes she is more losing it than being a graceful widow (like Jackie Kennedy was and like she wants to be).

Some of the scenes hurt my heart.  I sit and think...how could I function if I lost Brian?  How could I get up and make it to work (which Sophie does one day...in her robe!) or take care of myself (which Sophie does...eating ice cream for breakfast and over-medicating on tranquilizers) or any of that.  I think about my cousin who, with a one-week-old daughter, lost her husband while he was playing softball.  He was 32-years-old.  And she was alone...a widow at a young age with a newborn daughter too.  How does one function?  How does one get by?

Part funny and part solemn, this book has made me laugh and cry.  I haven't quite finished it yet but will probably do so tonight or tomorrow and I can't wait to see how Sophie gets herself pulled together (if she even does!).

And next on my list...the very personal Captivating by John and Stasi Edwards.  This will not be an easy read for me, I'm sure.  This one is going to involve some soul searching.  I hope to be back next week with a good report on it.

For now...happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment